CLP has extensive experience working a vast array of renewable energy tax matters. We have an extensive renewable energy tax practice that provides expert tax counsel to clients across the country who develop solar, landfill gas, wind, hydropower, biomass, and other alternative and renewable fuel projects that qualify for federal tax credits under Sections 45 and 48 of the Internal Revenue Code. Our experience includes negotiating and documenting tax equity transactions (partnership “flip” structures, “inverted leases” and other structures), as well as helping clients secure other tax benefits such as accelerated depreciation.
We represent corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies as developers, owners, investors and lenders in renewable energy projects. We have significant experience identifying the federal, state and local tax issues that arise for each of these types of entities and assisting them to structure their operations and investments in tax-efficient ways. We also have represented tax-exempt entities and individuals in the renewable energy sector and know how to help these taxpayers with the unique issues that can otherwise limit their access to tax-advantaged renewable energy projects and structures.
- Federal & state incentive renewable energy programs
- Angel, VC, PE investor financing
- Investment tax credit (ITC)
- Production tax credit (PTC)
- New markets tax credits
- Negotiating tax equity and debt financing commitments
- Qualifying projects for federal and state subsidies, including the negotiation of complex tax efficient structures, renewable energy credit applications and fuel RINs.
- Providing clients with timely updates of new and relevant legislative opportunities such as federal tax credit changes and state renewable energy credit programs.
- Negotiating tax equity and debt financing commitments.
- Advised leading solar development company on ITC PTC, and other tax incentive programs.
- Represented cleantech startup company to understand available tax incentives.
- Prepared formal tax opinions on various tax matters as they relate to renewable energy projects.
- Prepared informal tax opinion for clean technology company regarding tax credit worthiness of company’s solar products.
- Advised manufacturers of PV solar panels on tax implications of importing solar panels from outside the US.