Our attorneys are experienced in a broad range of legal topics that are relevant to the renewable energy industry.
Every day we help our clients navigate renewable energy transactions, structure projects, negotiate transactions, manage corporate affairs, draft legal agreements, interface with utilities and public service commissions, advocate with government agencies, prepare finance agreements and advise on a variety of related legal issues that come up along the way.
Here are a few notable transactions on which we have served as counsel:
- Review and update an option to lease and an option to purchase agreement for the purpose of acquiring site control for solar and energy storage projects in Illinois for Saturn Power.
- Represented SUN8 in 88MW community solar project in upstate New York, including suite of agreements, development of SPE, drafting subscription agreements, and negotiated asset interest purchase agreements.
- Served as general counsel for TruSolar, a community solar developer currently developing over 100MW of community solar projects.
- Negotiated PPAs, prepared preliminary title reviews, and served as outside general counsel for Borrego Solar, one of the largest solar energy, procurement, and construction (EPC) providers in the U.S.
- Advised BrightSource Energy, the world’s leading solar-thermal developer on project development, agreement drafting and in-house general counsel services in California and Israel;
- Served as in-house counsel for Distributed Sun, a top Washington, D.C. based community solar developer with a network of over $1 billion in industry specific investment;
- Conducted due diligence on utility-scale solar projects and drafted loan documents for international banking institutions, such as Bank SinoPac and Far East Bank;
- Drafted solar lease agreements for pipeline of solar project developers, including A-1 Solar Power, a solar PV developer in Southern California;
- Advised US Geothermal, a publicly-traded geothermal energy company as outside counsel;
- Served as legal counsel for the Colorado Solar Energy Industries Association (COSEIA) during negotiation and subsequent hearings at the Colorado Public Utility Commission against Xcel Energy’s revocation of a popular consumer solar incentive program in Colorado;
- Provided in-house counsel services, including regarding US Customs solar tariff for EcoSolargy, a California-based manufacturer of PV solar panels;
- Represented SunPerfect, a leading developer and PV manufacturer during equity investment in utility-scale solar PV projects;
- Provided solar project structuring support for Clean Focus, a company focused on financing and leasing solar power installations in the commercial, government, and utility sectors;
- Advised India’s Ministry for New and Renewable Energy on revision of PPA template for use with residential, commercial and utility-scale solar projects across India;
- Negotiated numerous PPA agreements for a variety of solar energy project developers, including for Sustainable Capital Finance, and Atlantec Solar;
- Filed dozens of applications for government incentive programs, including ITC, PTC and 1603 grants on behalf of solar project developer clients, including First Sun Solar and Twin Solar;
- Advised on REC, ITC, and environmental benefits matters for Green Flow Energy, a Toronto-based solar power project developer;
- Advised on feed-in-tariff requirements, and solar project finance options for Phelan Piñon Hills Community Services District;
- Provided FERC regulatory advise regarding seller requirements under Order 679 to receive market-based rate authority or seek status as a qualified facility during due diligence projects for Bank SinoPac;
- Drafted and negotiated merger, acquisition and joint-venture agreements for solar companies, including Cleantech Power Partners;
- Submitted various applications with FERC, including for Exempt Wholesale Generators (EWG) for Swiss Green Electricity Management Group SA for a 20MW battery storage project.
- Counseled numerous landowners on financial aspects and legal implications of solar projects;
- Represented many investors during negotiations for the sale and lease of solar energy projects;
- Applied for relevant construction, compliance, and environmental permits for major solar PV project developers.